This course provides students with the skills necessary to design a successful data warehouse. It is based on the following Ralph Kimball book: The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling, Third Edition, Wiley, ISBN: 1118530802, published on July 1, 2013. The students each get this book plus a set of printed PowerPoint slides. The course also discusses additional industry-wide best practices concerning Data Warehouse Design. The class uses the free CA Erwin Community edition data modeling software. The customer should talk with the instructor before the course concerning which data modeling software to use.
Students should have at least some experience with any relational database management system.
3 Days/Lecture & Lab
This course is targeted at technical staff, team leaders, project managers, and users who need to understand how to design a data warehouse.
- Introduction to Data Warehousing
- Data Warehouse Design Methodology
- Data Warehouse Components, Aggregations and Measurements
- Designing For Slowly Changing Data
- Data Warehouse Design Solutions
- Designing For Rapidly Changing Data
- Designs For Finance and Accounting
- Designing Complex Associations
- Aggregating Data at the Right Level
- Data Warehouse Design Review
- Handling Multiple Granularities
- Designing Factless Fact Tables
- Handling Multi-Valued Measurements
- Designing For Electronic Commerce
- Data Warehousing Design Mistakes
- Building the Data Warehouse